ANZSA 2024 Sarcoma Clinical Research Fellowship
ANZSA is offering a two-year clinical research fellowship with funding available from July 2024 to undertake a significant sarcoma clinical research project. The fellowship is funded by The Tie Dye Project and The Kids Cancer Project and must have AYA and/or paediatric patient cohort involvement in the proposed study.
The Fellowship will provide 0.4EFT salary for protected research time and associated on-costs. The applicant must also have a 0.4 EFT clinical appointment in an endorsed ANZSA sarcoma specialist centre.
The Fellowship is AU$60,000 per year plus on-costs for salary and additional limited funds for research costs to improve early detection and therapy for sarcoma. The aim is to support a promising junior clinical researcher, under the mentorship of an experienced ANZSA sarcoma researcher, to conduct a sarcoma clinical research study or clinical trial.
While the objective is to support the best possible research into sarcomas, there are some areas of priority that the ANZSA encourages for this grant, such as translational studies and projects that can leverage these results into successful large grant applications.
Criteria and Expectations
The successful candidate will be a fully medically trained oncologist from any discipline (medical, surgical, orthopaedic, radiology, pathology).
- Would prefer a higher degree but not necessary
- Advanced trainee – last year as registrar or junior consultant (less than five years post specialist training at the time of application)
- Considerations for career disruption and part-time work applicable
The Fellow, mentor, and collaborators must:
- become a member of ANZSA and member of The Kids' Cancer Project Fellowship Alumni
- submit six-monthly reporting (that will be shared with The Kids’ Cancer Project) with the second year of funding dependent on satisfactory progress in year one
- present findings at ANZSA scientific meetings (and ANZCHOG ASM if appropriate)
- acknowledge ANZSA, The Kids’ Cancer Project (TKCP) and The Tie Dye Project (TTDP) in all presentations and publications
- provide testimonials as to the impact of ANZSA Fellowship funding on their career for use by TTDP and TKCP
- participate in communications to promote ANZSA Fellowships and supported research via media, ANZSA, TKCP & TTDP website and social media
- attend at least one TKCP or TTDP event locally, in person to speak about the impact of Fellowship funding and the benefits to childhood / AYA cancer research by doing so.
The Fellowship is for salary support and very limited research costs (such as ethics and governance application fees, database builds, etc.).
All applicants should include a budget in their application. Selection criteria include track record and project feasibility, innovation and excellence. Download the application form or request it through email via firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications for the ANZSA Sarcoma Clinical Research Fellowship must reach the ANZSA Office by 5pm, Friday, 12th April 2024 via email. Please email applications and supporting documentation to email@example.com.